In Accordance with federal regulations and State Board Rule 160-4-7.03 Walton County School District assumes the responsibility for the location, identification, and evaluation of all children birth through age 21 that require special education and related services. All children who are suspected of having a disability and who are in need of special education are part of the child find process, regardless of age. This includes children who are:
- Birth through three who may or may not be referred to and served by the State’s early intervention program, Babies Can’t Wait;
- Preschool children, ages three through five, who may not be enrolled in Georgia funded prekindergarten program and kindergarten including children who are parentally placed in private preschools or daycare centers outside the school system;
- Children who are enrolled in a public school in Walton County;
- Children who are parentally placed in private and home schools;
- Highly mobile children, including migrant children;
- Children served in community programs such as a rehabilitation center, daycare center, etc., or other municipalities and
- Any other children suspected of having a disability.
For children transitioning from the Babies Can’t Wait program, identification/evaluation and placement for continued special education services must be completed by your child’s third birthday. The Babies Can’t Wait Services Coordinator will coordinate the transition through the Walton County School District Special Needs Coordinator. If you have questions about the transition from Babies Can’t Wait program you may call the Services Coordinator (Betty Ann Collingsworth) at 706-369-6101 or the Walton County School District Special Needs Coordinator (Karen Hooker) at 770-266-4502.
If you have a child age 3 to 5 that you suspect may have a disability and need special education services, you may request to have your child screened at one of the school district’s free monthly screenings. To schedule your child for a screening contact Melanie Cooksey at 770-266-4502. The schedule of monthly screenings is listed below.
| Date|| Location |
| August 15, 2023||Board of Education|
| September 12, 2023||Board of Education|
| October 7, 2023||Board of Education|
| November 14, 2023||Board of Education|
| December 12, 2023||Board of Education|
| January 16, 2024||Board of Education|
| February 13, 2024||Board of Education|
| March 12, 2024||Board of Education|
| April 16, 2024||Board of Education|
|May 14, 2024||Board of Education|
For school-age children – age 6 to 21 – enrolled in a home school program or private school within Walton County, you may contact the District POI Coordinator, Dr. Donna Major, for information regarding the referral process. Dr. Major can be reached at 770-266-4489. For children age 6 to 21 enrolled in a school in the Walton County School District contact the POI Coordinator at your school for information about the referral process.