This form is only available from 5/1/2019 12:00:00 AM to 6/30/2019 11:00:00 PM.
Under a 2009 state law (O.C.G.A 20-2-2131), parents may request a transfer to another public school within their local school district.
Permissive Transfer Option Request
- Home school: The school designated for the residence of the parent/guardian.
- Receiving school: The school selected for the choice option.
The law itself has three distinct features:
- A parent/guardian can elect to send a child to another public school in the same school district as long as there is classroom space available at the school;
- If a parent elects to exercise this choice option, the parent assumes all costs associated with transporting the child to and from the selected school; and
- A student who transfers to another school pursuant to this law may, at his or her election, continue to attend such school until the student completes all grades of the school. After that time, students will return to the home school.
Procedures for students transferring under Permissive Transfer Option Request
- Parents must submit an application (attached) before June 30th, 2018 to the Walton County Board of Education Student Services Department, 200 Double Springs Church Road, Monroe, Georgia 30656. No applications are received after this date.
- Openings will be filled by a random lottery drawing that provides each interested student with an equal chance to be admitted. Parents will be contacted in July.
- Students not selected through the lottery system based on 2018-2019 openings may re-apply the next school year.
- Openings will be determined based on the capacity of the buildings, class-size, and by grade and subject.
- Students selected to participate in school choice as offered by Permissive Transfer Option Request are required to remain at the receiving school for the academic year.
- If a parent requests a transfer to a school that does not have the services required by the current Individualized Education Plan (IEP) or Individualized Accommodation Plan (IAP), or English Limited Language (ELL), the school is not required to develop those services as long as they are available within the local school district.
- Any student transferring under this law shall be subject to the eligibility requirement of the Georgia High School Association and the policy of Walton County School District.
- This process does not apply to newly opened schools for a period of four years from the date the school opens.
- Students enrolling after the application window wishing to participate in the Permissive Transfer option may apply during the following school year application window.
- Schools are not required to create space by using existing portable classrooms or locating additional portable classrooms on school property.