Walton County School District and Communities In Schools of Walton County partner to provide a 21st Century Community Learning Center (21st CCLC) for eleven centers. The centers operate outside of school hours for at least 12 hours weekly. The centers serve eleven Title I schools, grades k-12. The 21st CCLC programs provide a high-quality afterschool program that responds to the identified needs of students and their families, specifically addressing academic under-achievement, limited cultural experiences, and low attendance rates in a positive and safe environment that empowers students to grow socially, emotionally and academically.
The program aligns with the regular school day and utilizes community partners to assure all resources are in place. The goals are to: (1) increase academic performance through engaging academic enrichment activities (along with tutoring and homework help); (2) improve positive student behavior through cultural, recreational, arts, life skills, and technology activities, and (3) to increase family involvement through literacy and related educational activities for families of 21st CCLC students.
Goals are measured through EOCT and EOGT scores; classroom grades; homework completion; class participation; behavior changes; and student, teacher, and parent feedback.
Walton County School District has applied for continued funding of 21st CCLC programs at HES, MES, MAHS, WGES and WPES through the 21st CCLC 2020 Request for Proposal. Awards are funded through a competitive grant process. Georgia currently funds 21st CCLC programs for a period of 5 years contingent upon the availability of future funding and evidence of progress. FY 2020 applications will be posted and awards will be announced in July 2019.
Staff Development Provided
- 21st CCLC Philosophy, Regulations, Goals & Objectives, Models
- Effective Afterschool Math Strategies
- Effective Afterschool Reading Strategies
- Using Smart Boards/I-pads/Technology
- Classroom/Behavior Management
- Best Practices in Remediation & Acceleration
- Differentiated Instruction
- Georgia Milestones
- College & Career Performance Index (CCRPI)
- GA Afterschool Youth Development Standards (ASYD)
- School Emergency Procedures
- Ethics, Sexual Harassment, First Aid, Child Abuse, McKinney-Vento
- You-For-Youth Professional Development