Can You Register to Vote?
You must meet certain eligibility requirements to register to vote in Georgia. You can register if you are: A United States citizen.
- A legal resident of a Georgia county.
- At least 17 ½ years old to register. You must be 18 years old before or on Election Day.
Even if you meet these requirements, you are NOT eligible to vote if you:
- Are serving a sentence for a felony conviction. You can vote again once you’ve completed your sentence requirements.
- Have been deemed by a judge to be mentally incompetent.
Already Registered? Check to be sure!
- You can check your voter registration status, as well as other election information online at the GA SOS My Voter Page.
Not Registered? You can get registered!
You should receive your voter registration card by mail
within 4 weeks. If you have not received your card after 4 weeks, contact your county board of registrars
When you vote you will need Proof of Identification
If you’re voting in person in GA, you’re required to show a current photo ID. Accepted IDs include:
- A GA driver’s license (can be expired).
- A valid employee photo ID issued by any entity of the US. Government, or any county or entity of the state.
- A valid U.S. passport.
- A valid U.S. military ID (with photo).
- A valid tribal ID (with photo).
- Any valid photo ID issued by the state or federal government. This includes free Voter ID cards. (See below).
You can request a free Georgia Voter Identification card if you don’t possess one of the accepted forms of ID listed above. You can get one of these cards at any county board of registrar’s office
or from your local DDS office.
To obtain a Voter Identification card, you’ll need to show:
- A photo ID document.
- If you don’t have one, you can show an approved document that doesn’t have a photo but has your full legal name and birth date.
- Proof of your date of birth.
- Proof that you are currently a registered voter.
- Documentation that provides your name and residential address.
For questions or for help getting a Voter Identification Card, contact your county board of registrar’s office
or the Secretary of State’s Elections Division by phone at (404) 656-2871 between 8 a.m. and 5:30 p.m. or by fax at (404) 651-9531.