1. Which sight words should my first grader know by the end of the year?
First graders will work on learning the first 200 sight words from the Fry List. These words can be accessed on www.thecurriculumcorner.com.
2. What are the first grade standards?This information can be found on the website www.georgiastandards.org
3. What are the requirements for the 25 Book Club? Our goal is for every first grader to enter the 25 Book Club. Due to the range of readers in our grade, there are three options:
1) Pass 25 Accelerated Reader tests (80% or higher)
2) Complete and return 25 Book Reviews
3) A combination of option 1 and 2
*There must be seven informational books included.
4. Does my first grader have homework?Yes. First graders will have a packet with nightly assignments that reinforce the skills learned in class. Also, it is expected that all students will read each night. Research supports the correlation between increased reading and students’ reading comprehension, vocabulary growth, spelling facility, understanding of grammar and knowledge of the world.
5. What strategies can I use with my first grader to help with mathematical understanding?It is important for first graders to use concrete manipulatives and pictorial representations to solve a problem, eventually becoming fluent and flexible with mental math as a result of these experiences.