What is the HRRB?
The Helen Ruffin Reading Bowl began with the vision of Ms. Helen Ruffin, a beloved school librarian in Dekalb County. Her idea has grown into a state-wide competition that drives readers with a competitive spirit, encompassing hundreds of schools and students.
Who can compete?
The reading bowl is opened to all 4th and 5th grade students who like to read and compete. The students meet once a week to discuss the books and to have friendly competitions using our buzzers for practice.
District wide (WCSD) competition is held in January on a Saturday morning. The top two teams then go to regionals to compete with schools across the region. This is held two weeks after the district competition. The top two winners at regionals then move on to the state competition.
- Students will need to read and become an expert on as many of the 10 books assigned for the elementary level.
- Students will accurately answers 85% of all AR test questions.
- Students will write up to 10 questions per book to help memorize facts from the book.
- Student will attend as many meetings as possible.
- The students are expected to have a positive attitude and respect all team members and sponsors.