Beginning in August 2021, digital learning will be offered to students in grades 6-12. All courses will be administered free of charge through Georgia Virtual School (GaVS). The Walton County School District will not offer distance learning options for students in grades pre-k through 5. This decision is in line with other Northeast Georgia school districts and takes into account students’ academic and social-emotional needs, the improving pandemic conditions, the availability of vaccinations for teachers and other school staff and guidance from health experts and organizations.
GaVS is an online instructional program affiliated with the Georgia Department of Education. The program has over 100 course offerings in the core content areas, world languages, CTAE, electives and a vast AP course selection. Each course is taught by a certified teacher hired by the Georgia Department of Education. Students enrolled in digital learning for the 2021-22 school year will not be assigned a WCSD teacher.
In order to be successful in the GaVS program, students must be motivated, organized, self-disciplined and supported. Parents should consider how their child performed during digital learning when making a decision for the 2021-22 school year.
To enroll in digital learning, a student must meet the district’s eligibility requirements and have reliable internet access. Since the district is utilizing GaVS, students will be required to commit to digital learning for extended periods of time and will not be able to return in person until a specified time.
Academic Eligibility Requirements
- Students in grades 6-9 must have earned all A's and B's for two prior school years
- Students in grades 10-12 must have a GPA of 85 or higher
- Middle school students must commit to an entire academic year (August-May)
- The registration deadline for the 2021-22 school year is July 30, 2021. Middle school students who do not register prior to July 30 will not be able to opt in to digital learning for the remainder of the school year.
- High school students must commit to a full semester (August-December/January-May)
- The registration deadline for the first semester of 2021-22 school year is July 30, 2021. After July 30, high school students will not be able to opt in to digital learning until the second semester.
Additional information regarding the digital learning registration process will be released next week.