The Reading Club is a group of 6th-8th grade students who love to read. Students will meet after school to discuss the stories and participate in a variety of activities and friendly competition using team buzzers that will help students become experts on the common books they read. From this club, students will compete to earn a spot on the Reading Bowl Competition Team of at least 10 students.
The following list is for middle schools for the 2022-2023 academic year:
- Alston, B. B. (2021). Amari and the night brothers. Balzer + Bray.
- Dee, B. (2020). Maybe he just likes you. Aladdin.
- Esplin, J. L. (2020). 96 miles. Starscape.
- Faruqi, R. (2021). Unsettled. HarperCollins.
- Ireland, J. (2021). Ophie’s ghosts. Balzer + Bray.
- Oh, E. (2021). Finding Junie Kim. HarperCollins.
- Sheinkin, S. (2019). Born to fly: The first women’s air race across America. Roaring Book Press.
- Sounders, T. (2020). Coop knows the scoop. Sourcebooks Young Readers.
- Venkatraman, P. (2021). Born behind bars. Nancy Paulsen Books.
- Warga, J. (2021). Shape of thunder. Balzer + Bray
Helen Ruffin Reading Bowl
The Georgia Helen Ruffin Reading Bowl is open to students grades 4-12. There will be a WCSD Helen Ruffin Reading Bowl between the Walton County schools (TBD). The winners of the Walton County Reading Bowl will compete in the regional competition (TBD). The state competition will be held between regional winners (TBD).
About Helen Ruffin:
Helen Ruffin was a media specialist is Dekalb County. To encourage her students to read, she created a competition game based on the Georgia Children's Book Award nominees. She wanted to have teams of students compete to test their knowledge of the selected books. The idea quickly grew from competition between Dekalb County schools to a statewide competition in 2003.