The Georgia Department of Education has released the 2018 Georgia Milestones End-of-Grade (EOG) and End-of-Course (EOC) Assessments results. The Walton County School District’s percent of students scoring at the Developing, Proficient or Distinguished levels on the Georgia Milestones EOG and EOC assessments once again surpassed the state in all tested grade levels and across all content areas and subjects.
The Georgia Milestones Assessment System is a comprehensive summative assessment program required by Georgia law for students in grades 3 through 12. The assessments cover English Language Arts (ELA), mathematics, science and social studies content areas. EOG assessments in ELA and mathematics are taken by students in grades 3 through 8. Science and social studies EOG assessments are administered to students in grades 5 and 8. EOC assessments are given in seven courses designated by the State Board of Education that include: Ninth Grade Literature and Composition, American Literature and Composition, Algebra I, Geometry, Biology, United States History and Economics.
“I congratulate our students, teachers and staff for once again surpassing the state in all tested grade levels and across all content areas and subjects on the Georgia Milestones,” said Assistant Superintendent of Curriculum and Instruction Rusty Linder. “This accomplishment is directly attributed to the hard work and dedication of our students and teachers. As a district, we continually review data in order to make instructional adjustments that ensure our students continue excelling at high levels. This year, the district is placing a stronger focus on literacy and the impact it has across all subject areas and all grade levels."
Walton County School District Georgia Milestones EOG and EOC Highlights:
- The proficiency rate improved or held steady on a majority of the 16 EOG assessments with the greatest increases occurring in mathematics (3rd grade - 9 percentage points and 4th grade - 5 percentage points).
- Improved the proficiency rate on a majority of the seven EOC assessments with the greatest increases occurring in Algebra I (9 percentage points) and Economics (5 percentage points).
- EOG proficiency rates in ELA surpassed the state in 5/6 grade levels and by as many as 9 percentage points in 3rd grade.
- EOC proficiency rates in 9th Grade Literature and American Literature met or exceeded the state rates.
- EOC proficiency rates in Algebra I and Geometry surpassed the state rates by up to 5 percentage points.
- EOG proficiency rates in mathematics exceeded the state in all grade levels (3-8) and by double digits in 3 grade levels (4th grade – 10 percentage points, 6th grade – 11 percentage points, and 8th grade 15 percentage points)
- The Biology EOC proficiency rate exceeded the state rate by 4 percentage points.
- EOG proficiency rates in science surpassed the state in 2/2 tested grade levels and by as many as 14 percentage points in 8th grade.
- EOC proficiency rates in Economics and US History exceeded the state rates by 9 and 10 percentage points, respectively.
- EOG proficiency rates in social studies exceeded the state in 2/2 tested grade levels and by as many as 6 percentage points in 5th grade.