Walton County Board of Education Policy JCDB states students are to dress in a manner that is reasonable and not distracting to other students and teachers. Any dress of an extreme nature will not be tolerated. Administrators will make final decisions regarding student dress in his or her school if anything is disruptive to the school environment.
The following guidelines are the regulations that support WCSD Policy JCDB:
- Shirts and shoes must be worn at all times.
- The “3x5” Rule (using 3x5 index card)
Rules for Clothing:
- All dress and skirt lengths will be no shorter than 3” above the knee.
- All pants, shorts, and gym shorts lengths will be no shorter than 5” above the knee.
No head coverings; this includes ball caps, hats, sunglasses, bandanas, or hoodies.
- Skirts, pants and shorts must be fastened and worn above the hipbone, fitting at the inseam and at the waistline.
- No holes, slits, rips or tears in clothing above the knee.
- No cleavage shall be visible.
- Clothing should not be extremely tight or form fitting as to cause a distraction.
- No sleepwear shall be worn; this includes bedroom slippers.
- Sheer or “see through” clothing shall be worn with a tank top or shirt that covers midriff and cleavage areas. No undergarments can be exposed.
- No part of midriff shall be visible.
- Tights, leggings, jeggings, or yoga pants may be worn covered by an appropriate length shirt that covers the front and back side.
- No tank tops or sleeveless shirts (No exposed shoulders- Ex. Cold-shoulder shirts or off-the shoulder shirts)
- All coats and jackets are not to exceed the length of the knee.
Heavy metal jewelry, wallet chains, or others similar items are not permitted.
- No ball caps worn attached to the pants.
No item of clothing, jewelry, headgear or other visible personal items shall contain the following:
Any “dress” (clothing, hair color, jewelry, accessories, piercings, etc.) determined by the dress code designee to be of an extreme nature is prohibited and is a violation of dress code.
- Suggestive language, graphics, symbols or slogans.
- Profane language, graphics, symbols or slogans.
- Any reference (language, graphics, symbols or slogans) that are demeaning to others.
- Any reference (language, graphics, symbols or slogans) to drugs, alcohol, tobacco, weapons or gangs.
- Any language, graphics, symbols or slogans that are not in keeping with the values of the community.
All students taking Physical Education classes will abide by the dress code as outlined above.
Consequenses for dress code violations:
First Offense: Students will be required to call home for a change of clothing or provided appropriate clothing. Student will wait in ISS until change of clothing arrives.
Repeat Offenses: Student will be referred to an administrator for further action.
The principal has the right to modify or revoke the terms and conditions of the Youth Middle Dress Code Policy at any time. Changes to this policy will be communicated through daily school announcements and will be posted on the Youth Middle School website.