Carver Middle School Basketball Team Expectations
We will abide by all rules Carver Middle School Basketball Team Athletic Code.
- Have an “Athletic Attitude” that includes all-out effort all of the time, poise and unselfishness.
- Any negativity or put-downs towards another member of our team or a coach will not be tolerated.
- In an effort to learn from each other as much as possible and promote team unity the players will be required to sit together as a team before and after the game. This will be in effect at both home and away games. The only exceptions will be at halftime or if a player goes home early with a parent. Any team member who violates this expectation will receive extra conditioning at the next practice.
- Excused absences (doctor excuses, death, illnesss) must be communicated to the coach prior to the start of that day’s practice; otherwise it will be considered and recorded as an unexcused absence. The best way to do this is to contact the coach in person or email.
- Two unexcused absences will result in a meeting with the coach. Three unexcused absences will result in dismissal from the team.
- Being absent from practice, whether excused or unexcused, the practice before a game will result in loss of starting privileges and may limit the amount of playing time received in that particular game.
- Cell phones are not allowed in the gym during practices and must be left in the player’s book bag.
- We represent Carver Middle School and the community as a whole when we travel, players will be expected to be on their best behavior and use good manners on the bus, in the gym, and in any restaurants when we travel. Violation of this team expectation will result in loss of traveling privileges.
- Student athletes will be expected to return all team issued items and apparel at the conclusion of the last game or within 72 hours of dismissal from the team.
- Any requests to be excused from practice to receive extra help with school work will be honored if made to the head coach in person with the understanding all conditioning missed will be made-up upon return or at the next practice.
- Any student athlete absent from practice due to after school detention will be required to make-up all missed conditioning along with some extra work.
- Any student athlete caught in possession of an item(s) that is not rightfully theirs will be suspended from the team.
- Squad placement (1st string, 2nd string, 3rd string) is determined by evaluating each student athlete on a variety of factors including:
- basketball fundamental skill set
- mental understanding of the game
- effort put forth in practice and player safety.
- Squad placement is NOT determined by grade level.
- No jewelry of any kind is to be worn during practices or games.
- For all practices and games hair is to be pulled back in a ponytail or braid, for short hair the top part or as much as can be is to be pulled back out of the face.
- (Girls) Due to our tank-top style apparel; an athletic-style undergarment such as a sports bra is to be worn during all practices and games.
- At school on game days, each player is expected to follow the attire that has been decided upon for game days. Carver Middle School Basketball players will look sharp, appropriate, and together on any attire that is decided upon by the team concerning game day attire.