1. When can I celebrate my child's birthday?
Birthdays will be celebrated during lunch time only. You may bring in cookies or cupcakes for your child to serve during their lunch time. Please check with the teacher to get an accurate head count of how many students are in your child's classroom.
2. Is there homework nightly even when it is not listed in the agenda?Yes, every child should be reading a book nightly that is on their AR level. We suggest nightly reading time should be at least 20 minutes.
3. Where can I locate the Lexile level of my child's book? If you are interested in finding out the lexile level of a book your child is reading you can visit the website www.lexile.com. In the top right hand corner there is a search bar and you can use this to find the lexile level of any book. Remember that by the end of 3rd grade we want our students to be reading books that are on a lexile level of 850.
4. Do they need to memorize their multiplication facts? Yes, this is a 3rd grade standard. Students should know these facts fluently. This is very important in 3rd grade because the bulk of our math curriculum is centered around multiplication and division. We encouage students to study these facts nightly.
5. How does my child get into the 25 Book Club?
In 3rd grade, we require our students to read 25 books. However, 10 of the 25 books must be nonfiction books. All books need to be on their current AR level.